Jake and Karen's house...
...the progress

kitchen current photos; details; side unit; lighting; pantry pull-outs; drawer conversion; backsplash; bulletin-board

 

We had 2 sets of lower cabinets that I kept pots, pans, casseroles and bakeware. They're your typical basic lower cabinet with the full bottom and a half shelf in the middle. We didn't get pot drawers because they were much too expensive when we were buying the house. Jake converted them both to a very deep drawer, a mid size drawer, and a slimmer drawer. Now each cabinet has more than double the space. We were lucky that the cabinets were perfectly square, Jake just turned the doors on the side and we have drawer faces. We spent under $200 to do both sets of drawers. We purchased our 100lb full extension slides from Lee Valley, which by the way are very good.

I didn't manage a full before shot, some slides are already in, but you get the general idea. These are the two cabiinets to be converted.

Smallest drawer in process of being built. We used melamine sheets, same stuff the cabinets are made of. This isn't high end, but the finish is very durable and easy to keep clean. The joints are made with a dado, glued and screwed, so they're very strong.

One set of drawers ready to go in.

One set in, as you can see, the cabinet doors were turned on their side and the handle affixed in the middle.

Jake getting ready to drill for another set of slides. Those power tools are starting to pay off!

Completed! You can't even tell that they don't belong there. We have to fill in the holes where the old pulls were and match the stain, that'll be a challenge. By looking at it though, you can hardly tell where the holes are.

Inside shot. Tons of space, I haven't even come close to filling them. Jake still has to cover a few screw heads inside. As you can see, the small drawer sits inside the mid-sized drawer, I can reach in the top to pull it out.. When it closes you just see 2 drawer faces.

Another shot looking down into the drawers.

Note: The original intent was to have pull-outs in these cabinets. Upon further reflection, there were a few problems. Large pullouts, full width of each cabinet is ideal, however it means that both doors must be open for them to function. 1/2 size pullouts were possible so that only one door needed to be open, however, you loose too much space with double sets of drawer rails, double drawer side thickness and center supports. Luckily Jake thought about flipping the doors on their sides, saved a lot of work and a lot of space and made them much more functional.